The West End has one of the largest collections of outdoor murals in Winnipeg. A mural is more than just a colourful piece of art painted on a wall. Murals are a great asset to the neighbourhood!Take our online mural tour.In the summer months, book one of our walking mural tours.
Why does the West End have so many murals?
• They add beauty to the area
• They virtually eliminate the incidence of graffiti on muralled walls
• They attract visitors to the area eg. mural tours
• They instill a sense of community pride
• They educate the public about the subject matter
• They liven up blank walls on the exterior of businesses
The murals in the West End focus on the area's assets - the rich ethnic and cultural diversity of its residents and businesses. BIZ-sponsored murals fall into several categories:
2. Famous People and Local Heroes
Since its inception, the Mural Program has expanded to include guided Mural Tours, Mural Mentorship painted pieces, hanging window murals through "A Walk of Art" and painted newspaper boxes through "Outside the Box."